Digital Art software has revolutionized the way that artists create their work. A digital art piece may look nearly identical to a traditional art piece, but the process of creating it is completely different. Digital art software allows the user to produce digital art using a combination of illustration, painting, 3D modeling, animation, and photography.
The explosion of new digital tools that enable artists to create works of art quickly and with precision has opened a world of possibilities for novice artists. Aspiring artists no longer need to rely solely on traditional materials and long hours of study. With access to the right software, anyone can create professional-looking art quickly and easily.
This article will discuss the top five free digital art software options for beginners. Each of these digital art tools provide excellent features for the novice artist at no charge. They are listed below in no particular order.
Top 6 Free Digital Art Software for Beginners
- Inkscape: Inkscape is a powerful vector graphics editor that allows users to create graphics for web, print, and digital art. The program is easy to use and offers a great selection of intuitive tools and features, such as the Pen tool, Node tool, and Path tool. Inkscape also provides a sizable library of clip art, backgrounds, and brushes. Inkscape is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.
- Krita: Krita is an open-source digital art software for both Windows and OSX that has been in development since 2004. It contains many of the features of professional software packages, but without the hefty price tag. It has a wide range of brushes and tools to create digital paintings, comics, illustrations, and more. The interface is intuitive and inviting, making it perfect for those just getting started with digital art. Krita is also highly customizable with layer support, blend modes, colour palettes, and other advanced features.
- GIMP: GIMP is an open-source image editor that started out as a Linux application but is now also available for Windows and OSX. It offers a wide array of features for digital artwork, including layer support, filters, transform tools, and plenty of brushes. Its user interface is surprisingly intuitive, but can take some getting used to for those who have no experience with digital art software
- MyPaint: MyPaint is a free digital painting software for Windows, Linux, and OSX. It is designed for creating digital artwork and is highly customizable. It includes an array of undos and redos, numerous brush options, and layer support. Its abundant brushes make it perfect for painting, sketching, and creating illustrations. It also has a colour swatch, so you can easily access the colours you need without searching through menus.
- ArtRage5: ArtRage 5 is a digital painting and drawing program that offers a great selection of realistic painting tools. It enables the user to simulate a wide range of traditional art tools, from airbrushes to markers and pencils. ArtRage 5 also allows the user to paint with layers, and it includes a great selection of canvases and special effects. ArtRage 5 is available for Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Paint.NET: Paint.NET is a free image editor with a range of powerful tools. It supports a variety of image formats such as JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG, etc. and is a great choice for editing and retouching photos. Paint.NET comes with a variety of tools from effects and layer support to drawing tools and texturing tools.
These are the top 6 free digital art software for beginners. Each of them offers a range of helpful features and tools for digital art and design. Whichever program you end up choosing, you can be sure that you’ll have a great start in the world of digital art. So, get creative and start digitalizing your art today!